Ayiti.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Krapo.

Shortly after arriving here, I learned that Haitians HATE frogs - or krapo.  It's a really passionate and fearful type of hatred.  And they are way more afraid of frogs than tarantulas or boas or other things that may commonly crawl around here.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I do know that they believe some sickness or something will occur if they touch a frog.

Well, I had a frog in my room this morning.  The little guy jumped on my leg while I was washing my hands, terrified me, and then hopped all over my room.  Now, I have an old Haitian lady cleaning my room everyday and I was fearful that she would have a heart attack if she came across the krapo.  

So, I ran and screamed and yelled at a frog for twenty minutes this morning (go ahead, picture it).  And then finally caught him in a trash can after earnestly trying to scare him out with water and loud noises and my voice.  Lastly, I had to gently encourage him to return back into the wild.  He was a stubborn little one I assure you. 

Good morning from Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment